Hello my name is Matthew Seymour I am a man and this is my blog called horse.

6 December 2011

The Mummers: Not just a Brighton based indie folk band.



Continuing my look at Christmas celebrations around the world my attentions are drawn to Canada more specifically, Newfoundland. Again, as with most countries, Newfoundland celebrates Christmas with the usual Santa Claus, turkey, presents etc but they also have a celebration dating back to England & Ireland in the mid 18th century and as I'm starting to realise with my little Xmas investigation, it's a bit odd. In fact it's scary as balls. See for yourself....



THE NEWFOUNDLAND MUMMERS!?

Those, my friends are Newfoundland Mummers.They also go under the titles of "Rhymers, Pace-Eggers, Soulers, Tipteerers, Galoshins and Guysers". It would appear Christmas terror has many names. If I were that family in the video above I wouldn't be all like "come in, have a drink Ha Ha Ha how delightfully whimsical" I'd be all like "Oh Shiiit! They got Grandma!!, Cletus get Pa his shootin iron Arrrgh what evil visits us tonight?" but I digress...supposedly this tradition is as English as morris dancers and afternoon tea. The tradition goes that around Christmas time people would dress up in diguises and go and visit their friends and family do a little improv and take a glass of mead (this was the 18th century) and perhaps receive a few pennies for their troubles. This practise continued for sometime.



(NOT) The Newfoundland Mummers

Then the first World War put a stop to this madness as every man jack was away at War and it was mainly blokes that kept up the tradition (blokes eh?!). By that point it was already going strong in Newfoundland, where the tradition continues to this day. As it does in Kentucky of all places.

Merry Christmas and please don't have nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment